WAHWEEP HOODOOS

APRIL 2008 & NOVEMBER 2011
WAHWEEP HOODOOS

WAHWEEP HOODOOS

WAHWEEP HOODOOS


WAHWEEP HOODOOS



WAHWEEP HOODOOS

WAHWEEP HOODOOS

WAHWEEP HOODOOS

WAHWEEP HOODOO


WAHWEEP HOODOOS

WAHWEEP HOODOOS


The Wahweep Hoodoos are some really interesting geological formations located just outside the town of Big Water, Utah. To reach the trailhead, you will turn north on Ethan Allen Road, which is located directly across the street form the Big Water Grand Staircase-Escalante Visitors Center on Highway 89. After traveling approximately three miles down the road, there will be a parking area just before a large wash. The road is easily-accessible to low-clearance vehicles. If you have a high-clearance vehicle, you can travel down the road a bit further to shorten the hike slightly.  

From the parking area, all you need to do is walk up the wash. All of the hoodoos will be on the left side of the wash with the first group appearing after about three miles, and the last group appearing at about four-and-a-half miles. Walking in the sandy wash can be slow going, so look for a dirt path to the left on your way up along some sections. While on the dirt path, keep an eye out for jack rabbits. The jack rabbits here are huge, and not very afraid of humans (or they just have really poor senses), as they won't run away until you were within just a few feet of them. Bring lots of water as there is none to be found in the area, and the entire hike is through open desert. This could be a brutal hike in the summer, so I would recommend going in the fall, winter or spring. The first time I hiked this in April of 2008, I remember it being extremely windy, and all the sand blowing into my face making the walk a bit unpleasant on the way up. However, the hike was definitely worth it, as the wind eventually died down, and I ended up having the place entirely to myself. I think the long walk through desert to reach the hoodoos makes you appreciate them more. 

I visited again in November of 2011 while in the area, and had a much more pleasant hike. I only remember seeing one or two groups of hikers along the way, and having the hoodoos all to myself again. Due to the remoteness of the area, I doubt this trail ever receives too many hikers. As I had stared the hike late in the afternoon, I remember running a bit towards the end, to be sure I could find my car before it got dark.